Maximizing Return on Ad Spend with Metasearch
A Metasearch Case Study for Resorts & Hotels
Dominating the SERP and maximizing return on ad spend with metasearch is possible for resorts (when combined with a well-managed hotel PPC strategy).
We tested the the theory using a new AI-based hotel metasearch solution.
The result? Record-setting metasearch performance exceeding 2000% return on ad spend (ROAS). TravelBoom’s AI-driven metasearch campaign was able to drive more direct bookings and more revenue at a lower cost.
Situation and Background
Based on new opportunities, TravelBoom identified underperforming metasearch campaigns for Brittain Resorts & Hotels, a premier Myrtle Beach resort management company. TravelBoom found the below factors to be limiting success and believed that the integration of an AI-based bidding component would improve performance.
Key Factors To Overcome:
- Limited bidding strategies available when using the tools provided by Google and TripAdvisor.
- Inability to share rates with secondary metasearch outlets such as Kayak and Trivago, among others.
- Inability to efficiently allocate budget in a fluid manner across multiple platforms based on performance needs.
- Higher-than acceptable percentages of rate mismatch between direct rates and OTA rates.
- Lack of granularity in reporting, which led to limited insights prohibiting effective decision making.
TravelBoom upgraded the partner’s metasearch feed technology to a robust AI-based bidding platform that not only helped optimize the account, but allowed for new participation opportunities.
The key improvements to the metasearch campaign included:
- Expanded participation to the top metasearch engines including Google Hotel Ads, Microsoft Hotel Ads, TripAdvisor, Kayak and Trivago.
- Smarter AI-based bidding strategies targeting potential guests throughout the vacation shopping journey.
- AI-based campaign management to uncover hidden opportunities and maximize return on ad spend with metasearch.
- Improved reporting offering more insight to ensure marketing decisions are based on data.
- Ability to allocate budget fluidly to maximize return on ad spend with metasearch.
- Reduced management costs based on more automated strategies.
A post-launch learning period allowed for the recognition of user behavior, occupancy needs, market conditions and booking values. After this initial period TravelBoom continued with a strategic process of further testing and optimization.
“After launch, the new hotel metasearch campaign increased the average return on ad spend in Google Hotel Ads from 895% to 2024% across nearly a dozen resorts.”
Results and Analysis
During the initial two months utilizing TravelBoom’s AI-based methodology, the client was able to generate an increase in performance over their previous Google Hotel Ads campaign and realize a return on ad spend that exceeded their branded pay per click campaigns. In addition, guests who booked through Google Hotel Ads had a significantly lower cancellation rate, which helped to improve close-in occupancy and increase RevPAR.
Google Hotel Ads ROAS
(A 126% Increase, YoY)
New Metasearch Engines
Microsoft Hotel Ads ROAS
If you’re looking to maximize ROAS and dominate the SERP, then metasearch is a must for your hotel. Metasearch has become the starting point for many vacation travelers and bookings via its channel platforms only continue to increase. Using an AI-based and strategy has proven to be an ideal solution to compete against OTAs, maximize ROAS, increase impression share, and ensure potential guests have the ability to book direct, regardless of where they shop.
Learn more about hotel meta-search management and how you can maximize your hotel’s return through Google Hotel Ads, TripAdvisor and more.