November 5, 2017 · Stuart Butler
Fuel Hotel Marketing Podcast: Episode 68 – Top 8 Travel Trend Predictions For 2018
In this week’s episode of the Fuel Hotel Marketing Podcast, we break down Booking.com’s top 8 travel predictions for 2018.
Looking for inspiration for your 2018 travel? Facilitating reservations for more than 1,500,000 room nights each day, the experts at Booking.com, the global leader in connecting travelers with the widest choice of incredible places to stay, have combined customer insights from over 128 million real guest reviews with research from 19,000 travelers across 26 countries around the world to reveal the biggest travel predictions for 2018.
Here’s the original article:
CLICK THE PLAY BUTTON BELOW TO START LISTENING.
If you like what you hear, please leave a comment below, share it with your friends, and also leave a review.
1. “New Tech Frontiers”
- Immersive Experiences
- AI → Help sell destinations and hotels
- 29% of people = comfortable letting a computer plan their trip based on previous travel history
- 64% of travelers say they would like to “try before they buy” with virtual reality
2. “From Dream To Reality”
- Experiences > Material Things
- 45% of travelers have a travel bucket list
- 82% of those plan to travel in 2018
3. “Retro Reboot”
- Revisiting childhood memories → nostalgia
- 34% of travelers plan to visit childhood destinations; Higher for millennials – 44%
4. “Pop Culture Pilgrimage”
- Entertainment as a travel destination
- 22% tempted to travel for major sporting event
- Top TV Show Travel Spots → 29% Croatia, Spain, Iceland (Game of Thrones), 21% London (Sherlock & The Crown), 13% New York / Manhattan (Billions)
5. “Walk Your Way To Wellness”
- Amount of people planning to take a “health and wellness” trip almost doubled from 2017 to 2018 (~10% → ~ 20%).
- Walking / hiking trips topped the list → 56%
- Other trends = spa / beauty treatments (33%), cycling (24%), & water activities (22%)
6. “Economic Intuition”
- Travelers are becoming more financially savvy → Looking for the best overall value
- Things to consider = currency exchange rates, economic climate of destination
- Using apps & technology to piece together trips to create unique, valuable experiences → 44% of travelers will use travel apps in 2018
7. “The Great Mate Escape”
- Group travel is one the rise → Y/Y increase went from 21% to 25% of travelers taking group trips
- Not just about the destination – but who you experience it with
- Financial decision – 42% said it will allow them to travel to places they otherwise could not afford
8. “Live Like A Local, Not With One”
- 33% of travelers say they’d prefer to stay in a holiday rental (home or apt) versus a hotel
- 21% of owners are considering listing their home on a travel accommodation site
- 25% of travelers say it is important for their hosts to have a strong local expertise
- Travelers want flexibility in interactions with host
Webinar – Tuesday, November 14th @ 11 Eastern
Fuel + TrustYou + Rain Maker
“Optimize The Booking Journey For Hotel Revenue Success”
In The Newa
Adwords Can Spend Double Your Daily Budget:
Direct Booking Movement Actually Working
Follow Us on Twitter:
Submit your questions and topic ideas on Twitter to @_travelboom.